Life paces itself slower in small towns. In Blanco, for instance, old-timers gather regularly at the Blanco Bowling Club and Café to exchange opinions over a cup of coffee, and on the square, residents pause to chat at the post office after retrieving the morning’s mail.
Blanco’s majestic centerpiece on the square is the old Blanco County courthouse built in 1885. The courthouse served the county for only four years before the seat was moved to Johnson City in 1890 after a controversial election. Following its abandonment by the county government, the building housed a number of entities over the years, including a hospital, bank, school, museum, restaurant and newspaper offices. A local preservation society purchased and restored the courthouse, which serves as a visitor’s center and community hall.